Battery problems are frequently the first thing people point the finger at when their vehicle struggles to start or never starts. While a dead battery may occasionally be the source of your issues, this isn't always the case. In certain cases, a non-functioning alternator may deplete a battery that is otherwise in fine condition. There are a few distinctive symptoms for both battery and alternator issues that can help you discern your situation.
Symptoms of a battery issue
The automobile battery is an essential component since it is in charge of supplying electricity to the starter and the complete electrical system while the car is not in motion. A reliable automobile battery lasts about 4 - 5 years. The alternator recharges it while you're driving because it can't store power for that time. Your battery's metal components might corrode with time, which would limit its anticipated capacity to store a charge and result in issues. The following list of indicators suggest your battery is to blame for your starting issues:
How to identify a dead vehicle battery
• High pitch screeching sounds
• both the car and its lights refuse to come on
• the engine coughs or attempts to start but the car still won't start
• warning light indication dead battery comes on
• Recurring issues when starting the car
• need to jumpstart your car frequently
Signs of a faulty alternator
Alternators typically last eight to twelve years. Batteries that are malfunctioning can be brought on by failed alternators. Here are several indications of a bad alternator;
• When you start driving, your automobile subsequently stalls.
• When the warmth or sound systems are turned on, the engine makes a screaming noise that becomes louder.
• Although the car won't start, the headlights are functional.
• dashboard lights and headlights are dim
• a scorching spell brought on by a hot alternator
• dead vehicle battery
If you are not sure what the problem is with your car, this is not the time to practice how to fix it. Simply bring it to EAS Tire & Auto today and get your battery or alternator problem fixed